The PODS Association has launched the PODS Lite Data Model free of charge to anyone wishing to evaluate and understand how the PODS Pipeline Data Model can support their needs.
This latest version of PODS Lite is compatible with PODS 7.0, and includes implementations for SQL Server, Oracle, and PostGreSQL in addition to Geodatabase implementation. It also includes schema changes based on testing of version 1.1, new tables, abstract classes and code lists, data type and names changes.
We want your feedback/comments/suggestions!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to share about your experience
using PODS Lite. Thank you!
Since April 2017, PODS Lite version has been downloaded over 1,240 times. The expanded PODS Lite is now available. This latest abbreviated edition of PODS Pipeline Data Model 7.0 allows pipeline industry professionals to explore how implementation of this recognized and established data model may improve their pipeline data management, integrity and risk management, operational and regulatory reporting activities. Pipeline operators and other interested parties who are not PODS members and/or are not yet using the full PODS Pipeline Data Model, along with Association members not yet familiar with the PODS data standards, are encouraged to download our FREE subset of PODS 7.0, called PODS Lite. PODS Lite provides an opportunity to preview and evaluate the PODS 7.0 Pipeline Data Model capabilities and value. There are four documents included with PODS 7.0 that are NOT included with the PODS Lite Package.
- Free for Use by All – PODS Lite is available to both PODS Association members and non-members. Both are encouraged to use PODS Lite to understand how the PODS Pipeline Data Model works and what value it provides.
- Subset of the Full Data Model – PODS Lite is a subset of the full PODS Pipeline Data Model. A set of essential tables is provided, allowing users to preview the PODS linear referencing, asset and operational tables.
- Preview of Modernized PODS Standards – PODS Lite reflects a major re-design and modernization of the PODS Pipeline Data Standard taking place as part of PODS Next Generation initiative.
- Available for Multiple Platforms –PODS Lite is being made available in Esri geodatabase format for use in Esri’s ArcGIS for Pipeline Referencing (APR) extension, as well as other GIS and RDBMS platforms.
Pipeline operators and other interested parties not yet using the full PODS Pipeline Data Model, along with Association members not yet familiar with the PODS data standards, are encouraged to use PODS Lite to evaluate the PODS Pipeline Data Model capabilities and value. For existing Association members and users of the full PODS Pipeline Data Model, PODS Lite provides an opportunity to preview the Associations’ “Next Generation” Data Model.
What is included in the PODS Lite download?
The following four ZIP documents containing twenty-four documents will open after you launch PODS Lite v 1-1.zip. It is recommended that you start by reading the “PODS Lite Readme list of Documents-FINAL-v1-1.pdf” first.
The documents that comprise the PODS 7.0 download have been compressed into four ZIP files as follows:
1. PODS-LITE-USER DOCUMENTS.zip contains PDF documents describing technical and configuration steps (7 documents).
2. PODS-LITE-LOGICAL MODEL FILES.zip contains one Logical Model Data Dictionary document (1 document).
3. PODS-LITE-GEODATABASE FILES.zip contains two .xml, two .xls documents, 2 zip files which provide configuration tools, and two data dictionaries. (documents 13-19)
4. PODS-LITE-SCRIPTS AND DATA DICTIONARIES-ALL.zip contains zip files that, when expanded, include the .sql scripts for Oracle SDO, Oracle ST, PostgreSQL, SQLServer and for population of metadata tables. Also included within these zip files are PDF documents – one Data Dictionary for each “flavor”.
These documents have been arranged in an order which we believe will best help you understand what is included in the PODS 7.0 Package (PODS-7-0.zip). We suggest that you read them in the order provided. (NOTE: this list is the document called “README List of Documents” and can be accessed there any time.).
**IMPORTANT Note about reading PDFs: When the Word documents are converted to PDF, the Table of Content hyperlinks at the top of the documents may or may not work, depending upon the PDF reader you are using. For example, most versions of Adobe Reader will now create “Bookmarks” on the left column instead of links within the document’s table of contents, and Mac’s Preview will show a “TOC” – be sure to “turn on” the bookmarks or TOC feature in your reader to more easily navigate the documents.
PODS Lite Database Formats
PODS Lite is being made available in the Esri Geodatabase format, RDBMS format, and the OpenSpatial Format. It does NOT require Esri APR.
PODS 7.0 and PODS Lite support Esri APR without any modification to either data model. The Esri geodatabase version, referred to as PODS Lite Geodatabase XML Workspace APR, will work with Esri’s ArcGIS for Pipeline Referencing (APR) extension. This is possible because the Esri APR linear referencing extension will work with any data model that meets certain requirements; the PODS Pipeline Data Model Version 7.0 and PODS Lite meet these requirements. The PODS Association and Esri have worked collaboratively on the development of PODS Lite for APR. PODS Lite allows pipeline operators to take advantage of both Esri’s APR and the PODS Pipeline Data Model. Pipeline operators will realize significant value when using APR’s linear referencing and data management tools along with the PODS Lite Data Model.
PODS 7.0 and PODS Lite DO NOT REQUIRE Esri’s APR, although they support Esri APR without any modification to either data model.
PODS Lite and PODS 7.0 are not specific to Esri or the Esri APR extension to the ArcGIS Platform. PODS Lite v 1.1 supports implementation in additional relational database management system (RDBMS) and geographic information system (GIS) environments. PODS Lite comes in many flavors.
PODS Version 7.0 (Next Generation) Plans and Information
The complete PODS Next Generation Model (PODS Version 7.0) has been released and supports relational databases including support for native spatial geometry data types. Note that PODS Lite is available to anyone with an interest, whereas the complete PODS Next Generation model (PODS Version 7.0) is only available to PODS Association members. Learn how to join the PODS Association HERE.