“This is the biggest undertaking of the Association since we organized and we are excited about what it can mean for the industry—efficiencies and effectiveness in reporting to achievebetter internal analysis.”
–Paul Herrmann, PODS Association President. PODS Next Generation goal is transformation of the Standards and Data Model
“PODS Next Generation is defining a standard that is easy to understand, simplified, rigorously documented and makes use of current technology. It is important for pipeline data consistency and interoperability. How PODS is implemented makes a difference. This is what we are working toward in PODS Next Generation.”
–Peter Veenstra, Co-Chair of the PODS Next Generation Work Group and PODS Association Board member
The PODS Association’s Next Generation, or Next Gen, initiative is focused on a complete re-design and modernization of the PODS Pipeline Data Model. The re-design of the PODS Pipeline Data Model is driven by PODS Association Strategy objectives as defined in its 2016-2019 Strategic Plan, as well as from nearly 20 years of PODS Pipeline Data Model implementation experience and lessons learned.
The Next Gen initiative will result in a new data model – the PODS Pipeline Data Model Version 7.0 – as well as a Data Exchange Specification and migration and implementation guidance and instructions. The Next Gen Data Exchange Specification will facilitate data translations between the PODS Pipeline Data Model Versions 7.0 and earlier as well as other data models and will also enable system integration via service-oriented approaches. The re-designed Data Model will standardize and modernize data management and reporting across the pipeline industry.
The Next Gen initiative is scheduled for completion in 2018. The PODS Association will be providing incremental releases of the full PODS Pipeline Data Model starting in 2017 with the release of Version 7.0. As a subset of Version 7.0, PODS Lite offers current and potential future Association members the opportunity to preview the re-designed data model.
- October 2017: Subgroups Announced (view the 2017 Pipeline Week Slidedeck here for more information)
- September 2017: PODS Core Developed (view the 2017 Pipeline Week Slidedeck here for more information)
- The Next Generation Scope was approved on May 16th, 2016.
- 11/9/2016: LIVE Video of the PODS Plenary Presentation at Pipeline Week 2016 (including DEMO of PODS Next Gen) AND the PowerPoint Slide Deck are now available. The Plenary includes a detailed look at PODS Next Generation accomplishments and plans.
- 10/09/2016: Next Gen White Papers (FAQ, Conceptual/Logical Data Model, Scope) are now available HERE (click to go to page)!
- 08/23/2016: A webinar detailing the PODS Next Generation Commitment to Standards and a Transformed Data Model was a huge success – if you missed it, you can download the slide deck here: Next Gen Webinar 082316 FINAL.
Next Generation defines the PODS core and design and documents the data interchange. An aggressive timeline has been launched and progress was reported at both the 2016 and 2017 Pipeline Week Conferences as well as quarterly webinars. To expedite execution of this effort, PODS has hired a contractor for the technical work.
Kurt Buehler, President of Image Matters, is a recognized leader, with industry expertise in standards development, data modeling and creation of data standards. Mr. Buehler serves as primary consultant to PODS. Their experts have created similar work for the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) and have successfully led or contributed to inoperability projects such as Geospatial Interoperability Framework (FEMA), and the National Information Exchange Model (NIEM).
2016 Forum – Presentation during PUG:
Peter Veenstra, TRC (Co-Chair)
Chad Corcoran, Andeavor (Co-Chair)
Buddy Nagel, Kinder Morgan
Dan Palazzolo, Williams
Jeff Allen, Esri
Kirk Cameron, New Century Software
Michael Ray, Geofields
Bill Plese, Phillips 66